Do Not Attempt To Solve an Electrical Issue Without Proper Knowledge
For most electrical issues in the home, including adding light switches or outlets, seek the services of a licensed professional electrician. Attempting to repair an electrical issue without the proper knowledge or training can lead to more expensive issues down the road. The U.S. Fire Administration data reveals that 26,100 home fires are caused by electrical problems, which lead to over $1 billion in property losses. However, it doesn’t mean you can’t solve some of the common electrical issues here in the Puget Sound Region. We can take a look at three common residential electrical issues and how to solve them.
If The Outlet Doesn’t Work
The first thing to do is check the status of other outlets. Are they working properly? If the other outlets aren’t working as they should, it is an indication that the power in that circuit or the entire house is out. However, if only one outlet isn’t working it might be because a GFCI or circuit breaker might have been tripped. Locate the electrical panel in your home and ensure it isn’t in the ‘off’ position. Stand to the side of the panel and flip the breaker to the ‘on’ position if it is off. It is important to stand to the side just in case there is any arcing from re-energizing. If the issue is not resolved, you should get professional assistance as voltage from a house panel can be very dangerous.
Continuous tripping of the circuit breaker
If a circuit breaker gets overloaded or overheated, it will trip. A circuit breaker is protection for your home’s circuits, and essential for the safety of the electrical system. If the circuit breaker isn’t functioning properly, appliances and components plugged into that circuit could be damaged and wires could overheat which could cause a fire. Circuit overloads could also be caused by too many things plugged into an outlet. Make sure surge protectors are installed and counter top appliances are unplugged when not in use.
If Your Lights Flicker When Turned On
This could be a result of using a bulb of wrong type or wattage or if it isn’t connected properly. Using a bulb of wrong wattage or installed loosely or improperly, can potentially lead to overheating and fire. If the bulb is new and correct, the other possibility is faulty wiring either in the switch or the fixture itself. Homeowners should definitely seek professional help for these types of wiring issues.